Sunday 22 July 2012

Ang Mo Kio S11 Penang Prawn Noodle + Western Food = Underrated vs. Overrated

Hello Sun, Moon and Sky,

It has been so time now that I have just lay there and spend some quality time with you, it is not that I taken you guys for granted but I did, like so many of us.

Maybe it is because I have forgotten the simple joy of holding an flavored ice-tube in my hand, playing marbles in the dirt, making robot voices with the electric fan and catching spider in the woods.

What H@ppen?

I wondered aloud too. 

For I wanted to still enjoy the simple things in life and be me.

However at the same time, I want to have your life and be you.


Like the song "Girl, You'll be a Woman soon" Could it have been that we just grew up too fast because of social pressure that we became that "WOMAN" without ever realizing it.

However, I have come to the realization that:

"Life" was never meant to be "Equal"

Else this would not have happened to me... (Story Time)

One sunny evening in the island of Brunei, there was me "IT"

Waiting patiently at the departure hall for my return "DELAYED" flight to Singapore, until I saw him...

Remember "A spade is a @ spade" and there is no pooling in Singapore
In my head, I thought to myself, "GREAT" at least now I know the real reason why my flight was delayed because HE is late and the whole world has to come to a pause and wait for HIM.

So after approximately 45 minutes of Pain, the aircraft started to taxi out of the gate, getting ready to depart.

While, I was busy getting myself comfortable in monkey class for take off and going home to my missy after a week away, unlike somebody "HIM" who travel in business class.

The aircraft STOPPED in the middle of the runway.

Suddenly, like in a movie set, a black car pulled up by the side of the aircraft and the door was opened again.

I was going "SHIT", are we being hijacked because HE is on-board?

WRONG, WRONG and I couldn't be more WRONG.

Believe it or not, a commercial airliner "SILK AIR" has to stop in the middle of everything to allow some Brunei ("I think") government officers to board the plane despite the fact that we are already out of the gate and in the runway.

It caught me at "HELLO".

So believe me now ? When I say that Life was never meant to be Equal, I meant it. 

Which brings me to this blog entry where I will be reviewing two (2) stalls concurrently, located at
HDB Ang Mo Kio, 711 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 8, Singapore 560711.

Side by side, but their fate couldn't be more different
First up: The Penang Prawn Mee, the underdog, the underrated, the honest and hard worker.

First and foremost, I must confessed and unofficially informed you that this is probably one of my favourite Prawn Mee in Singapore and friends who know me for years will tell you that I am not a big fan of prawns, however this is different just like life was never meant to be equal.

Beside, don't people always prefer to roots for the underdogs, however please be ensured that this blog is unbiased and above board... (See below)

YOU WISH !!!
Of course, I will be biased and have my judgement clouded, even though I am still not being paid to do so.

Before you are to quick to pull the trigger, take a look at the glorious picture and if you are game enough, go down to this location and take a chance before you judge me.

Remember I am NOT the one who is drawing SG$15,000 a month salary or the one who can authorize the airline to stop its plane in the middle of the runway to wait for me on days that I am late, I am but just HAM-SOME... (See below)

I WISH !!!
I was the one who is drawing SG$15,000 a month salary & have the authority to stop a commercial aircraft anytime I wish.

Dry or Wet, you decide


Just look to your left and tell me you don't feel the LOVE emitting from these glorious noodles.
 
This what I will called COMFORT FOOD, not COMFORT WOMEN, thought it will be nice to have them as well.  
(Just don't tell my missy)
 
Why called do people called comfort food, I believe it is because when you eat a particular food, it bring warmth to your heart and give you hope.

Everyone need hope, including yours truly "Ham-Some" ME.

The noodles and the sauce dance together like they belong, with a little bits of chilli, a little bits of tomato, a little of Life.



Still not convinced?

Look at it, and tell me you don't feel anything
Looks at those prawns, something that I ensured you that you won't typically find in other prawn noodles, and if all HELL breaks loose, this is SO GOOD and that will still be an understatement, in my view it is VERY GOODElICIOUS.

Also, did you know that this boss also have a one "kind" of an attitude, in a good way.

For if he ever ran out of these dry prawns, he will simply refuse to sell any more dry prawn noodles instead of offering fresh prawns as an alternative like most other prawn noodles stalls will do, he simply doesn't compromise but want to ensure that his food is served to its best potential.

Which ponder me to think, if we have compromise too much in our life.

If this is not reason enough for you to pop by, try the Lor Mee too.

It is definitely above the current market standard that will put so many specialize Lor Mee stalls to shame, for the sauce is not as starchy that you feel you are eating GLUE and the ingredient are a prefect mix when they come together, no single ingredient will outshine the other, but will only work together as one.

Lor Mee, back to basic
I say that this stall is not getting enough credit, maybe like some of us at work, for without a doubt, I reckon that this stall deserve to more business unlike some overrated stalls that sell overpriced, overrated and over endorsed food, made famous by food blogger whose tongues are probably eaten by the dogs and will be better off that way too.

Take up the challenge and tell me I am RIGHT.

Second up: The Western Food, the top dog, the overrated, but still the honest and hard worker.

Looks like the real deal
This western food joint came highly recommended by lots of my friends, and if you look around in this coffee shop, you too will noticed that the business is brisk and lots of people are there for western food apparently.

That caught me at "HELLO".

It is decent at most, and oily it definitely is.

In my view, a good chicken cutlet need to have its skin and meat working as one, whereas in this case, the skin was running away from the meat and it sure feel as if you are having the skin and the meat as 2 separate dishes.

French fries need to be served cold and crispy, however this was COLD and DEAD.
Coleslaw need to have some bounds when chew upon, however they were ...

Take up this challenge too and tell me I am RIGHT AGAIN.

I love to be RIGHT.

Call me Mr. RIGHT or better, SIR RIGHT.

So come the verdict:

Penang Prawn Mee
Verdict Out of Five (5*):
  1. Quality of Food: 4.0 (One of the best ever)
  2. Ambiances: 2.5 (It is a coffee shop, so behave like the ah-pek)
  3. Audiences: 3.25 (If you go on a weekend, the beer ladies not aunties are an eye full)
  4. Price: 3.0 (Price are going up, but still very affordable for everyday people)
  5. Services: 3.5 (Less than 5 minutes and blink your food is served)
  6. Hygiene: 2.5 (Not the cleanest but we will survive)
My overall rating is 3.75*, I think I am in LOVE.

Western Food
Verdict Out of Five (5*):
  1. Quality of Food: 1.5 (Decent, not great, edible at most)
  2. Ambiances: 2.5 (Same as above)
  3. Audiences: 3.25 (Beer mei mei, Beer mei mei)
  4. Price: 2.5 (About what the other western are charging)
  5. Services: 2.5 (Fast enough, but what is speed without quality)
  6. Hygiene: 1.5 (Seen them prepare their toast on a naked table)
My overall rating is 2.0*, we all deserve BETTER.

Probably the best way to sum up the 2 stalls up is with the poster below:
 

Quote of the post: "The world is my stage, I am the actor, the clown and the director"

Till next time and signing off
"IT"

No comments:

Post a Comment